Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Thing #7 Sharing my thoughts on Technology: my new gadget and Occupational Therapy

Last week I got some new tech gadgets. One of those gadgets helps me keep up with my work and home calendars - an absolute necessity since I'm on the reference desk at various hours, in committee meetings at various hours, planning meetings at various hours and then there is my personal life.... go figure. I OD'd on using and exploring these gadgets over the weekend, but I've since recovered from my gadget hangover.

Anyways, I can install mini-games on one of the new gadgets and I came across an addictive game called Everest: Hidden Expedition from Big Fish Games. I happen to like word search games so this game (finding hidden objects) has been like candy to me.... addictive. I showed it to a friend who is a school based occupational therapist. She too was intrigued...for herself but it also caught her professional interest. In her work with many students facing developmental and mobility challenges, she is often looking for games that might spark the interest of K-6 students but serve her ultimate agenda of increasing small motor skills (among other skills).

This is the second time that I've shown her a technology that she has been able to convert to a use with her students that need OT services in the schools. The first time, we discussed how instant messaging can help students practice fine motor skills like typing in a way that is not just repetitive and boring typing practice.

I like this intersection of leisure tech interests and work interests. I can always find a way to use tech in my job, but I also like figuring out how to encourage tech in the personal and work lives of other folks.

1 comment:

CSM 2.0 Team said...

I've got tech-envy. My cell phone has a calculator. That's about as techie as it gets. (from CSM 2.0 team member Lia)